Tuesday, February 5, 2008

January 2008 Reads Part VI.

Fantastic Four #553: This one marks the end of Dwayne McDuffie's run on the book and I've gotta say, the man can write. There was a lot of buzz on the internet about this run and a little bit of skepticism about the creative crew that's going to replace them, so I don't know if I'm going to be buying it after this. I think I'll flip through it and check it out. I especially liked the last couple of issues because it has a lot of what I look for in a comic; Doctor Doom, lots of fighting, time travel and Doom. How can you go wrong with the formula? The answer is; you can't go wrong, it's Dr. Doom, baby.


House of M: Avengers #4: I keep writing about how good this one is and again, I'm going to say that this issue was really good. Too bad it's only a five-issue limited series because I could hang out for an additional five issues at the very least. This issue is definitely ramping up for the sapian/mutant battle that will take place at the end of the series. I'm kind of disappointed that there's only one more issue to go, but I really enjoyed reading it and sometimes all good things must come to an end. So I'll wait until the last issue comes out at the end of the month and give it a nice sendoff.


Mighty Avengers #8: This one was a little strange, but it's also a pretty fun book, so as I said last month, I'm going to keep buying it. It's funny, it's got a lot of action, basically the only drawback is that Wonder Man is involved. Hate that guy and his stupid jacket and sunglasses. There was a pretty funny part in the book where Pym gives Janet the ability to become super tall or super small and then the first time she uses it, she gets infected by the Venom virus, becomes a twenty-foot tall Venom and starts destroying New York. I think I've said this before, but this book is also bringing back the thought balloons and I couldn't be happier. They way they use them is how people think in real life when you're saying one thing but thinking another. It's a pretty fun book, so check it out if you get the chance.


What If? Wolverine vs. Spider-man #1: I remember buying this one-shot WAY back in the day (I think it was back in 1987) so I was interested to see what they were going to do here. It was...interesting. Marvel lists it as #1, and I forgot if it said if it was a one-shot or not so it might turn into a series. They definitely left the door open for further exploits. I liked that it was kind of written with the same feel that I remember the original book was written in; it was set during the Cold War, so there was a lot of cloak & dagger and misinformation going on. I enjoyed it, like I said, I don't know if it's going to be a series and I don't know if I'd buy it as a series. I guess we'll find out. My opinion is that it was intended as a one-shot.

So I guess Marvel pushed some stuff back. I had X-Force #1 and Hulk #2 on my list, but looking on their website, it doesn't list them as being released tomorrow. I found X-Force got pushed back to the 13th (just in time for Valentine's Day). Whatever, Marvel. So I guess tomorrow I will be buying: Moon Knight #15 (actually it gets delivered in the mail), Uncanny X-Men #495 (The "Divided We Stand" Storyline begins) and The Twelve #2 (I'm really excited about that one).

No comments: