Friday, February 22, 2008

February 2008 Reads Part III.

I had to meet someone in Van Nuys last night so I had to find a comic store to go to and I realized that I spend too much money on comics. I didn't get the normal discount and I think the place I go to gives you free bags and boards, so it was expensive. Anyways, here's what I got:

Cable & Deadpool #50: I gotta say, this was a fun issue and I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't start buying it earlier. When Deadpool comes back in his own book later this year, I'm going to think about buying it, especially if it's anything like C&D. To get back to this particular issue, the only disappointment was that it was $3.99 and basically the only extras they added were some pinups, an expanded letters column and then some reaction from the staff. Not worth the extra dollar, Marvel, I'm just sayin. Anyways, this one kind of tied into the Secret Invasion story-line in a fun way and I'm sure it didn't impact it in anyway because this is the last issue of the series. I will tell you that it involved battling dinosaurs and it was pretty awesome. Plus, Deadpool never disappoints, and this was a good issue to end on.

Hulk #2: So, we're kind of getting somewhere with this one, but it's still all fuzzy. We still don't know who the Red Hulk is, and I'm not sure if we're going to find out any time soon. So if I had to guess, I'd guess that Doc Sampson is the Red Hulk, but I also think that he's not the Red Hulk because they're obviously steering you to think that he's the Hulk. Oh, by the way, I called this last month but there's already a new Abomination. Sorry if that's a spoiler, but Rick Jones is the new Abomination, and his nickname is "A-Bomb". So there you go. I'll hang out for another couple of issues, there's some potential here so I'll hang out for another couple of issues.

Invincible #48: I really like this series, and this one left us with a giant cliffhanger ending. Image is kind of weird about their releases, so who knows when the next issue is going to come out, but I'll be ready (for example, on their website, this issue is supposed to come out next week). Image is really hyping the road to issue #50 and I hope it delivers. The cliffhanger to this issue was a pretty big one, and I can't wait until the next issue comes out to find out what happens. The one thing I could have done without was the in-story ads for Image's other titles. A whole bunch of characters were kidnapped and they referenced their regular titles when it happened. Kind of annoying Image. Just sayin'.

Mighty Avengers #9: To sum this one up with one word: DOOM! I talked about this one a little bit yesterday. I'm not really impressed with the Secret Invasion storyline but I loved this issue. It's fun, it's got a good group of characters (well, except Wonder Man) and a healthy dose of the Doctor. Oh, AND timetravel. I've written about his before, but you can't go wrong with that formula. I mean, it's Doctor Doom AND time-travel. They had a really cool effect at the end of the book that I really liked (a certain group travels back in time and they did a moire pattern on the last couple of pages to simulate the old four-color days. I'll scan pages in tomorrow if I have some time).

Wolverine: Origins #22: This one took me about two minutes to read, there wasn't a whole lot of dialogue going on. It was a really fun issue though, with a lot of action and cat-and-mouse games between Deadpool and Wolverine. Apparently, this was the second part of the story, so somehow I've gotta get my hands on issue #21. Like I said, it was a fun book and it was a pretty quick read. I will probably buy next month's issue because the story is continued there.

In other news, I should probably read the articles before I post them. That Iron Man trailer is on next week's episode of LOST (the 28th). Sorry for the confusion. I can be retarded sometimes.

No comments: