Monday, May 18, 2009

May 2009 Reads Part II.

Captain Britain and MI:13 #13 - Hmmmm, I'm really not sure what happened in this book, because [spoiler alert] it seemed like half of the team died. So, that was kind of a bummer. I was starting to wonder if they had canceled the series are giving them this last story arc to wrap it up, but I'm sure that's not the case. It better not be, I just got the first trade and some back issues to catch up on the series. I'm hoping that this was just a setup for the next couple of kick-ass issues. I guess we'll find out next month. I guess the way it was written I just don't know how they're going to write themselves out of what happened. So I'm going to pick this one up just to see how they get out of this jam.

Deadpool: Suicide Kings #2 - This book was pretty fun and entertaining. A lot of punch/kick/shoot-em-up, but as I said, it's interesting. It's got Deadpool, the Punisher and Daredevil (in the last panel), so how can you really go wrong with that combination? I don't think you can. This was a fun issue with a lot of bullets, dismembering and jokes in between the bullets and dismembering, and I really like the art a lot; you really can't pull off an action book with as much fighting as this issue has if you don't know what you're doing, and I enjoyed Carlo Barberi's work, which is saying a lot because I normally don't comment on art.

Secret Warriors #4 - This was an issue that didn't have a whole lot of action, but I thought it was just as good as any issue so far, it set up a lot for the next issue and I liked Dum-Dum's performance. It also has some mystery thrown in there, like is Nick Fury even a real person? That's the feeling I got when they found that room with all of the Life Model Decoy androids. They promised at the end that they were going to bring the action next month, and I can't wait. I said last week that Agents of Atlas (which is coming out again this week, which is pretty rad) and this book were the best things to come out of Secret Invasion and I still mean it.

Umbrella Academy: Dallas #6 - You know, I've been a little disappointed in the Dallas series and I think this last issue was just ok. I liked the twist about half-way through the book, but I dunno, something about the entire series has bugged me and I don't think it was as good as the first installment. It's still decent and I will continue to buy/read it, I just wasn't as impressed with the second story arc as I was with the first. It was a little disappointing in my opinion.

Wolverine #73 - Ok, what the hell is going on with the this Wolverine release schedule? #73 comes out BEFORE #72? And #72 is part 7 of 8 in that "Old Man Logan" story, but part 8 isn't listed anywhere as being released, because #73 continues into #74 and then in #75 it becomes "Dark Wolverine" and follows Dakan's story. I understand that was hard to follow, but WTF Marvel? When and where the hell does this Old Man Logan story finish up? And why the delay/weird publication release? (::UPDATED:: I guess there's going to be a giant-sized Wolverine one-shot that finishes it up. Awesome. I bet it's at least $3.99 and wouldn't be surprised if it's $4.99. Thanks, Marvel.)

ANYWAYS, I actually thought this issue was pretty fun. I really loved the first story, "A Day In The Life" by Jason Aaron and art by Adam Kubert. It was basically eight pages with a bunch of throw-away panels on each page. But it was so well done, it actually took me awhile to read it even though there was barely any dialogue because I was checking out every panel and laughing. Very well done story.

X-Factor #43 - I like to check in on X-Factor every once-in-awhile when there's an interesting issue in the previews, and I was kind of impressed with this one and I went back to the shop to see if they had any more back issues. There's a very interesting plot line where Madrox is stuck in the future and there's a cool future Cyclops that is pretty awesome.

No comments: