Wednesday, May 28, 2008

May 2008 Reads Part II: The Rest.

Genext #1: I was very interested in this when I first heard about it, even though Chris Claremont's run on the New Exiles has failed to impress me. It's basically a series about what would happen if the X-Men actually aged in real time, so it deals with the Next Generation of Mutants. A lot of them are the children of some of the X-Men. The first issue was pretty good, I'm going to add it to my buy list (which seems to keep getting bigger every month, I need to start scaling back, hopefully when this Secret Invasion madness is over with, it will return to normal). I thought it was pretty solid and it's an interesting twist on the X-Titles. And really, the only guy you really really want to write something like that is Claremont, and he really delivers. So check it out if you get the chance.

New Exiles #6: Man, I just don't know why I keep buying this title. I want to stop buying it, but I'm afraid I'm going to miss something good. I guess I don't know when I should just cut bait with this series. I don't think I'll be buying the next issue, it's kind of a wacky storyline right now, it's reminiscent of a storyline that happened in the original run of Excalibur, so it's almost like Claremont is ripping himself off. The only difference is, the original story involved original characters that I cared about, and this one has alternate variations of characters that originate from different dimensions, so I really don't have a huge vested interest. I think I'm going to stop, I gave it an extended try and it's the book I always read first so I can get it out of the way. So, good-bye New Exiles, sorry.

Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four #1: Interesting, but I don't really know why this couldn't have just run in the regular FF series, which finally wrapped up with it's current storyline. I think next month's issue is a Secret Invasion tie-in anyway. I think it's just a ploy to get you to buy more comics. Anyways, a Skrull infiltrates the FF by impersonating Susan Richards and basically takes the FF out by sending them to another dimension. They never say what exactly happens to Susan, she's probably still alive, and since Reed was KO'd at the end of Secret Invasion #1, it's really only Ben and Johnny that are affected by this.

The Twelve #5: This one is kind of hitting a lull. Don't get me wrong, it's still good, it's just getting to the middle of the run and they're still doing some back story on all of the characters. I imagine it will start to ramp up again rather soon, because they've only got about seven issues to go, so they've got to start wrapping things up soon. I still love this series, just because of the nature of the story, it was bound to have a slow issue here and there, mainly because they've got a lot of balls in the air right now that they're trying to juggle. I'm hoping they'll be able to pull it out. I still highly recommend this series and you should check it out if they release it as a trade. It's an excellent read.

Wolverine #65: Ok, so at some point, Wolverine and Mystique are supposed to fight. Well, it finally happened and Wolvie hurt her pretty bad and left her in the middle of the desert to die. BUT, this storyarc isn't done yet! There's still another issue to go. Why we need another issue is beyond me. I'm guessing that somehow, someway, Mystique survives and the last couple of issues have been a total waste of time. Thanks, Marvel. Just get to the "Old Man Logan" storyarc already. I can't wait for that one to start. Let's go already.

Wolverine: The Amazing Immortal Man & Other Bloody Tales: I actually liked this one a lot, it was pretty fun. It had three stories based on Logan and the fact that he's been around for a long time (hence the "Immortal Man" tagline). Oh, and it's bloody. I think my favorite two stories were the opening story about when he was a carnival act (The Amazing Immortal Man) and the second one where he inspired a bus driver to strap some knives onto his forearms and to go out and fight crime. Just a couple of fun stories that add to his mythology.

X-Men: Legacy #211: It's getting very interesting right now. Professor X is still missing a whole lot of his memory and he's trying to get it back by visiting certain people and reading their minds. This one revealed that Mr. Sinister was involved in the Professor's life at a very early age. Very interesting. I don't think we've seen the last of Sinister, and I hope we don't just see him in flashbacks. I want him back and kicking butt. It might take a year or two, I think once this Secret Invasion cross-over starts affecting the X-Titles, there won't be a whole lot of room for him to come back, but maybe he's biding his time, licking his wounds and waiting to come back. I can hope, can't I?

No comments: