Tuesday, May 6, 2008

April 2008 Reads Part V.

New Avengers #40: This one was interesting because it had nothing to do with the New Avengers. It was kind of a selected history of the Skrulls and how the Secret Invasion started. The one thing that was kind of annoying is that they explain that there was a genetic breakthrough and they can encode any superhero or mutant DNA into a Skrull, but they never really fully explain what the breakthrough was. They know more about "our" DNA than we do. Some of it was a little confusing because I'm not fully up on my Skrull/cosmic history. I was never really into the Fantastic Four when I was growing up, so there's a little bit of a learning curve when it comes to these kinds of things. It was pretty interesting though, I think all of the Avengers issues are going to be like this, that's why they have the throwback covers where the Avengers are Skrulls instead of normal.

X-Men: Legacy #210: Pretty darn good. The first story arc is done (Professor X/Magneto) and the second arc started at the very end (Rogue). This is a really well-written series and it's very well-versed in the history of the X-Men. It's interesting to see things from Professor X's viewpoint and it's interesting to see how fractured his mind is right now. I can't wait to see where this goes, I'm interested to see what happens with Rogue and if they are going to weave the two stories together. Two very big thumbs up. I was a little worried about this when I first heard that they were totally changing the series, but I think it's a good move. Do we really need two X-Men teams? I like how this series will address characters in transition, and I hope they keep that premise for awhile. I think they could explore a lot of characters that way.

Tomorrow, I've got a pretty long list. It includes; Cable #3, Logan #3 (last issue), Mighty Avengers #13 (is this coming out every two weeks now?), Moon Knight #18, Secret Invasion #2 (can't wait to read this one), Thunderbolts: Reason in Madness (I love the Thunderbolts), X-Factor: Quick and the Dead #1 (I don't know if this is a one-shot or a limited-series, but it's about Quicksilver, so I'm in either way), and Young X-men #2 (I am looking forward to this one too). Decisions to be made while flipping through a book off the rack: Avengers/Invaders #1 and Omega: The Unknown #8. Whew! That's a lot.

No comments: