Tuesday, March 4, 2008

February 2008 Reads Part IV.

House of M: Avengers #5 This one was kind of a letdown, which is what I was fearing and kind of expecting. Of course when a series like this ends, there's probably going to be the feel good ending (check) with unresolved storylines (double-check) and an ending that kind of just trails off (check). The first four issues were really strong, so it was really disappointing to read the last issue. I guess if I ever re-read this series, I'll just read the first four issues and then pretend that the fifth one never happened. Kind of like the Godfather movies. I'm not comparing this series to the Godfather; I'm just noting the fact that the third Godfather movie totally sucked and was a giant letdown/disappointment.

Thunderbolts: International Incident One Shot. This one was very good, but since I haven't read the recent issues (they're still coming in the mail), I really don't understand why they are doing so many one-shots and not regular issues, seeing as they're delaying the regular issues. Maybe I just answered my own question (they're behind schedule on the normal issues). Anyways, yeah, this one was pretty good, but the one-shots don't seem to include the entire team, only certain members. The good thing is, it's not the same people in each one-shot, so you get a little bit of backstory and motivation for different characters. I guess that's also what the one-shot format is supposed to do; to help flesh out some of the characters. I am trying to buy a larger run of the Thunderbolts on eBay because this series really interests me.

X-Men Legacy #208 This one was interesting. It combined flashbacks with the current time-line and it was actually well done. I'm interested to see what happens next, there was kind of a big cliffhanger ending, with a Magneto sighting (that was the cliffhanger ending, sorry for the spoiler). It's also bringing back The Acolytes, which is pretty interesting because they've been gone for awhile if memory serves me. It's not like I was going to drop this title, because the X-Men are the entire reason I collect comics, I was just a little worried about where this particular series was headed. But there's no need to worry here, everything's alright and it's actually headed into very interesting territory.

I've got a pretty big list (for me) of stuff to buy tomorrow. Cable #1 (I hope it's not sold out by the time I get to my comic shop), Logan #1 (ANOTHER series starring Wolvie Marvel? What is this, the mid-90's?), Moon Knight #16, The Twelve #3 (still totally excited about this series), Uncanny X-Men #496 (I have low expectations for this one) and X-Force #2 (again, I hope it's not sold out by the time I get to the store).

In other nerdy news, Gary Gygax, the creator of Dungeons & Dragons, died today. I will pour out a healing potion for Gary tonight. Or a 40oz. Whatever I can get my hands on.

::UPDATE::
Another poster in the "Who Do You Trust?" series can be found here. Very interesting. Somehow a Hawkeye poster got released and I missed it. I saw it a couple of weeks ago on MakeMineMarvel.com, and I finally found the link on Marvel's website. You can see that one here. Enjoy.

No comments: