Wednesday, April 30, 2008

April 2008 Reads Part IV.

Hulk #3: I like this series a lot. This issue had a ton of action going on and a crazy ending that made me mad that I have to wait a month for the Red/Green Hulk showcase showdown next issue. And we still don't know who the Red Hulk really is, either, so that's another reason to keep buying it. This one was just pages and pages of Hulk smash, which was pretty cool. The interesting thing about the Red Hulk is that he's intelligent and can talk, and he likes to use guns, which is strange when you have almost limitless strength. Whatever, I still really want to know who the Red Hulk really is; hopefully they'll reveal that soon. Like next issue soon. That would be great.

Hulk Vs. Hercules: When Titans Clash: Pretty freakin' awesome. This was a one-shot, and it's set to be part of the Incredible Hercules series. Most of it is a flashback about Hercules and the Hulk, and there's a lot of Hulk and Hercules Smash! involved in the story, which is pretty cool. I think the Hulk also calls Herc "annoying skirt man", which was pretty funny. Much like Hulk #3, this one has a lot of smashing involved and it's a pretty fun read. Very interesting ending though, it was almost sinister. It was in regards to Herc and how his behavior. There have been a few other hints like that in the regular series and I wonder if they're going to act on it at some point. I guess it's something to think about in the future.

Mighty Avengers #12: Ok, I have to admit that I had to reread this one a little bit last night to remember what it was about and then I remembered that it was a flash-back issue, featuring Nick Fury. Basically, it told everyone what he's been doing for the last couple of months since he checked out. It was kind of a cool spy story; at one point he infiltrated a S.H.I.E.L.D helli-carrier, had a talk with the new head of S.H.I.E.L.D and then escaped. It was pretty rad.

Ms. Marvel #26: Ok, so this one was pretty wild and action-packed. There was some Ms. Marvel vs. Skrull Ms. Marvel action and then S.H.E.I.L.D. stepped in. I think I found a mistake, but I'm not sure because of all of this Skrull business. Interesting cliffhanger ending (which is all the rage now, you have to have a hook for guys to keep buying the next issue) and it's very involved in the Secret Invasion cross-over. I thought it was a pretty fun issue and I'll be back for more next month. I have been surprised by this series, mainly in a good way, so I'll keep on buying.

New Exiles #5: Sigh...I really don't know why I bought this one. It was actually pretty decent, but I thought I was getting out. I should probably not buy it next month, but as usual, I'll flip through it off the rack and end up adding it to my pile. I have self-control issues. This one focused on the rest of the team that got left behind. In typical Chris Claremont fashion, something happens to them while they're just chilling at Headquarters, and they find themselves in another dimension or on another planet. I'm not trying to slam Claremont, I actually like when he does stuff like this, it's just that I've noticed it's pretty much a staple of his work. So, I guess we'll see where it goes next month.

Uncanny X-Men #497: This one was pretty uneventful, but it's still a nice change of pace for this book, because like I've said before, it's usually cross-over city. The one thing that I find annoying is that there are a couple of different storylines going on, and they all seem to lag. I could really care less about what is going on with Scott and Emma in San Francisco (Except the part where Emma gives them new costumes and she is a smokin' hot hippie chick. There's an upshot at her boob in one panel that makes you stop and go, "Whoa"). I really could use more of the Logan/Colossus/Nightcrawler story, especially when it involved giant robots. I freakin' love giant robots. Anyways, again, I really didn't have high expectations for this one, and I was slightly let down, until I remembered that this is totally unlike what normally goes down every month in this series. I just wish there was a little more going on and that it was a little less scattered.

Wolverine First Class #2: This was a whole lot of fun. It's got the right amount of action and humor in it and I really enjoyed reading it a lot. It also cool that it's about Kitty and Logan, and that it's set just after Kitty joined the school. There's a lot of nostalgia in this series so far but most of it is in a good way (like in this issue, Kitty got tickets to see Dazzler in concert). I also like how the series is mainly about how Logan and Kitty because such good friends. It's kind of revisionist history, but I don't mind that too much, because it's smartly written and it's a pretty funny book. And you can't have a comic starring Wolvie without there being any fighting, so it's got that too. I highly recommend this series, it's very good.

X-Force #3: Continues to deliver the goods. The storyline has some big implications in the X-Universe and I can't wait to see where it goes. It looks like they're going to get Rahne back and in action by the time next month rolls around, and they're really not happy with the Purifiers. It had a very interesting reveal at the end and I'm salivating for the next issue. I really wish this one was bi-monthly, I'd buy it every two weeks.

Today, my list looks like this: New Avengers #40, and X-Men Legacy #210 (which came in the mail already and it was pretty awesome). So that's kind of a relief because I've been loaded down the last couple of weeks.

No comments: