Sunday, December 9, 2007

Marvel Digital Comics.

This is probably old news, but a few weeks ago, Marvel released a Digital Comics section to their website. They had been beta testing this for a few months and had been offering select comics to view for free (they're still doing this as a tease to get you to subscribe, they have 250 comics that you can view for free). They finally launched a subscription site and apparently, it crashed their servers within a few hours. They've got all of the bugs worked out and it's working fine right now. It's pretty interesting, I used it when it was free and it wasn't so great on my laptop, zooming in and reading kind of doesn't do it for me, but on a larger monitor (like my desktop computer) it was fine.

They have two plans, an Annual Subscription ($59.88/year) and a Monthly Subscription ($9.99/month). They have over 2500 comics ready to be viewed, the only problem is, they have a scattered selection. LIke they only have 9 X-Men comics available from #142-416. That's a huge gap. I think they're adding stuff all the time, and they've mainly focused on starting with the really old stuff, so there's some cool stuff available. Like, Amazing Fantasy #15 (the first appearance of Spider-Man). Or, the first 50+ issues of the original Avengers series. And the first 60+ issues of the Uncanny X-Men.

I haven't bought a subscription yet, I don't know how much I'd use it. I think it's a great idea and it would be interesting for people that have stopped collecting and don't want to go bak and buy back issues. I am also wondering what DC is going to do in response.

No comments: