Sunday, December 30, 2007

December Reads Part III.

Thunderbolts One Shot: Breaking Point: I decided to give this one a spin because I want to start collecting The Thunderbolts series, starting with #118, which comes out on Friday. I was pretty impressed with this one-shot though, and I'm excited to start reading the series. This book was really well written, the art was great and it had the perfect balance of fighting, talking and character development. For a first-time reader, I was interested and was left wanting more. So it's a good thing the next issue comes out this week. I am totally psyched. Just about the only bad thing I have to say about this issue is that they used the font Crackhouse for the title of the one-shot. Seriously, Marvel? What is this, 1997? C'mon, either pick a different distressed font, or better yet, make your own. It's really not that hard.

House of M: Avengers #3 This series continues to get better and better with each issue. The Punisher really changed the whole series by switching sides. The story is great, the art is great, I love the cover art (by Mike Perkins) and I like the characters they chose for this version of the Avengers. I'm a Luke Cage fan, and he's front and center in this series.

I did not get Hulk vs. Fing Fang Foom #1 because I forgot about it and then didn't see on the rack when I was at the comic shop. I was thinking about getting Fantastic Four: Isla De La Muerte #1 but then flipped through it and decided to pass. I also didn't get X-Men #206 because that's one of the comics I subscribe to. I won't be renewing any of those subscriptions, mainly because they arrive a little later than the comic stores get them, and they arrive pretty beat up. So I'll just start picking them up at the store when they run out.

On Friday, I am planning to get Thunderbolts #118 and Exiles: Days Of Then And Now #1. At some point, I should be getting Moon Knight #14 and Uncanny X-Men #494 in the mail, even though they come out on Friday.

Also, as I mentioned in the update to the last post, I bought 100 old comics off of eBay for about $20. There is a nice mix of Hulk, Daredevil and Fantastic Four books with some other random stuff thrown in. There are some potentially awesome reviews that could come out of this pile of books, especially the Hulk stuff, because they are funny in a good/bad way.

No comments: