Wednesday, August 20, 2008

August 2008 Reads, Part II.

Astonishing X-Men #26: I didn't really understand this one too well. I guess it's because I'm new to the series, but they kind of went off on an entirely new adventure, but they really didn't explain who they were going after. So it was kind of hard to follow and hard to keep up with. Also, do we really need them to mention THREE TIMES how heavy Wolverine is? I say we don't. We know his skeleton is made out of adamantium, we get it, he's heavy move on. I do like how Armor is kind of a major player in the X-Universe now. She's on this team and had a lot of face time in that Secret Invasion X-Men book (it's at the end of this review post). She's an interesting character and I like how she's been developed. Next to Ink, she's probably my favorite younger X-Man.

Fantastic Four #559: I think I am one of a very small group of people who likes this run. I think it's pretty interesting and there's a great balance to the book. They don't tell you everything, and there's just enough action to keep you interested. I'm interested to see how they pull it all together, because they just started to with this issue. There's a big cliffhanger ending on the last page, so it's kind of one of those "I really wish the next issue would hurry up and get here already" kind of situations. For some reason, I thought it had been an abnormally long while since the last issue was published, but I guess I was wrong.

Genext #4: Yeah, I'm pretty much waiting for this series to be over with. Next month it's done, and I couldn't be happier to cross it off of my buy list. This issue was actually pretty good, it's just the second and third issues lagged so much that the series became boring to me. And I really don't know what it's supposed to accomplish because it's only got one issue left. I guess it's just a one-off story about what would have happened if the X-Men aged correctly and then had kids. I guess I should have taken it at face value, but for some reason I was looking for more. I guess it's because I expected a lot more because Chris Claremont was involved. I dunno.

Secret Invasion #5: Yeah, so, this series has really dropped off in the last two or three issues. ::SPOILER WARNING:: So it turns out that ALL of the heroes in that spaceship were Skrulls. Even Mockingbird, who Hawkeye/Ronin thought was the real deal. So, understandably, he goes a little ape-s*%t after he has to kill her. In my opinion, this whole Skrull Spaceship situation that has taken place in the Savageland took WAY too long to tell. AND, they were all Skrulls anyway, so what was the point? I understand it was supposed to be a distraction and it was part of their plan to infect Tony Stark and Stark Industries with a virus, but really, this whole thing could have been wrapped up in two or three issues. Thanks for stretching things out Marvel.

Secret Invasion: X-Men #1: Definitely the best of the week. I had heard a lot of hype about this book and it claimed a lot of stuff, but it really delivered. The Skrulls attack San Francisco and they get plenty of resistance from the X-Men. I read an interview talking about how this book was going to be about the X-Men have been trained for war, and they really drive that home in this book. As disappointed as I was in the Fantastic Four Secret Invasion Series, I am incredibly impressed with this issue. I hope the rest of the series doesn't drop off like a lot of these Secret Invasion series have. One note: I understand we're dealing with Comic Book Logic here, but Wolverine being in the Savage Land for the Secret Invasion series , then in San Francisco for the X-Men series AND this series, then to fly somewhere in South America for the Astonishing series is a little too much. Not to mention that he's got two or three other series where he's off adventuring. That's why I think they're doing that "Old Man Logan" series right now, because he's overloaded right now. I'm just sayin'.

I'm also just sayin' that tonight I am going to buy; Guardians of the Galaxy #4 (Awesome!), Incredible Hercules #120 (It's like my parents got divorced and I get two Christmases!), Marvel 1985 #4 (Meh), Moon Knight #21 (This new story arc looks pretty awesome), Uncanny X-Men #501 (Already?), X-Factor #34, Young X-Men #5 (It's like THREE Christmases!!!) and I'm debating if I'm going to get that Layla Miller One-Shot or not.

2 comments:

Chris said...

That sucks the entire ship of people were Skrulls. That seems really lame. I was hoping some of those heroes would really be heroes, just for a cool plot twist. Not that I'm a huge Mockingbird fan, but it would have been a cool way to bring her back.

Tyler said...

Word. Reed Richards showed up with a Skrull Detector that he made on the way back from space (they did not show if he stopped to apply for a patent or not) and all of the people on the ship were Skrulls. It was way lame. I thought that could have been a cool idea if some of them were real, but it was really lame it took five issues for them to find out that they're all Skrulls.